Google on medical complaints
Health information found online is often of inconsistent quality. The Dutch College of General Practitioners (NHG) was convinced that evidence-based online health information could lead to well informed patients who make a better assessment on the need to visit a doctor - and thus lead to lower usage of healthcare.
Improving patient education and reducing health care utilization is important in times of rising healthcare costs- and usage, especially when these are projected to increase even faster in the near future. To that end, NHG approached One Shoe to develop an evidence-based health platform: Thuisarts (GP at Home).
Thuisarts helps to:
• address complaints yourself
• stay healthy
• assess whether it is necessary to consult a doctor.
• prepare for a meeting with the GP
• to re-read the explanations and recommendations after a visit to the GP
Reliable and independent
Content on the website is based on evidence-based practice guidelines developed by NHG, and includes medical information and patient education such as illustrations, short videos, decision-making help tools
and e-health self-management tools. With the help of GP’s these scientific guidelines are translated in everyday language.
12% fewer doctor visits
Thuisarts.nl aims to reduce (unnecessary) telephone contacts and visits to the GP. Scientific research in the British Medical Journal shows that the number of GP consultations in the Netherlands dropped by 12% as a result of the launch of the platform. That is more than 8 million fewer visits!
Facts & Figures
- Thuisarts.nl is visited 1.7 million times monthly.
- Together visitors read more than 3 million pages per month.
- Thanks to excellent SEO performance, 80% of the visitors from Google come directly to detail pages, 17% approach the URL directly.
- An average session lasts 1: 25min and covers 1.94 pages. So people actually find what they are looking for almost immediately.
- 99% of the GPs in The Netherlands use Thuisarts as a supportive tool during their consultations.
Thuisarts is awarded
Since the launch of Thuisarts, the website has become part of the GP practice. And that is seen! The platform has received several nominations and prizes, including the Niek de Jong innovation prize and the Website of the Year 2016 award. In 2018 Thuisarts is nominated for the Splash Award, the prize for the best digital project developed with Drupal.